Friday, May 20, 2011

31 Days of May-Day 20

Paul's sister had their fourth little boy a while ago (like a month, I am not on time!). I found this cute fabric in Colby, Kansas at a quilt store. Obviously I had to get it because they named the little guy Joseph Gehrig. You know Lou Gehrig? Baseball player also an all around good guy. And because I'm on a baseball roll, I had to show you this cute blanket today. The panel is based on a few 30s fabrics and more current prints like this:
How fun! I used it for the back.

For those interested, this is how I make quick blankets.
I take 1 yard each of two matching fabrics and cut them the same size with right sides together. I sew around the edges leaving an opening at least 6 inches in the center of one of the sides. Then I take batting and cut it to the same size of fabric. I pin the batting to the fabric and sew around it again with the batting on the bottom so I can follow the stitches that I already made. Next, trim the corners. Then fold right side out and get your corners square by using a pin to pull the fabric out-without ripping a hole in the fabric. Finally, I hand stitch the opening closed. I don't know what kind of stitch I use-just make it invisible. To finish it off, tie with yarn or embroidery floss every 5 or so inches depending on your batting. Sew easy and they always turn out cute. You can't tell on the blanket I made, but I used blue floss and tied in the triangles, in the center of the baseballs, and on the top of the caps.


Just a quick note-You can sew all three pieces together at the same time, but it doesn't end up as tight and square. Maybe you could, but I am not that good.

No comments: