Monday, June 6, 2011

Apparently I'm Afraid of Snakes

My parents have a snake problem. The Common Garter Snake has made a comfy home underneath one of their back steps, like under the cement. The first few years my parents lived here the snakes weren't so bad. We'd see one or two and let them be. One time my sister walked into the storage room in the basement and there was one down there. She and my mom put a bucket over the snake and waited until my dad got home. The little snake problem has become increasingly worse though. Last summer my dad caught a lot of them and threw them into a field a little ways from our house. This year-he's already caught 33. Instead of throwing them in the field (I think they came back) he has been putting them in the dumpster so the trash man can take care of them.

So I walked outside this morning and there sunbathing on the lawn was a garter snake. I wouldn't have such a problem with them, but I saw a video on youtube about a snake infestation in Rexburg-look it up. Immediately I thought, I need to get rid of this thing. I called for my dad, he wasn't home. Tongs! that's what I needed, instead I got a bucket and tried to cover it. It slithered away too soon though. I did not have the guts to pick it up with my hands and throw it in the garbage. I always thought I would be able to. Maybe next time, but probably not.

1 comment:

Jami said...

Mom was telling me about the one in Rexburg (at least I think that is where is was at)....anyways...that is still pretty scarey! I dont think that I could pick a snake up either! I am not afraid of other pesky things but snakes are the one for me that crosses the line! Hope you are having fun at home.