Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tis the Season

Well, it is December and I am feeling very festive. Since we weren't home over Thanksgiving, I decided I could wait until the beginning of December to put up the decorations. So on the 1st that is just what I did as a reward for finishing a homework assignment. Oh, Paul helped me too. This is our beautiful Christmas tree. The theme is "Starry Red and Green with accents of Gold and Gingerbread Wonderland." Maybe a little excessive, but I really love red, green, and gold. They are Christmas colors.
Oh, maybe you can see outside on the patio. It snowed for about five minutes today. Too bad it didn't stick.

This is the Christmas garland. Once again red, green, and gold. The little sign says "Be Merry." I am feeling very merry!


Since it is the reason Christmas even exists, I have out my new Nativity. I am very thankful that we have this joyous time of year to thank our Heavenly Father for His most precious gift to us, our Savior, Jesus Christ.



A beautiful poinsetta next to a Christmas favorite, the crocheted Santa boot. My Grandma Hamman gave this to us last year. It has been one of my favorite Christmas decorations since I was a little girl. Since she gave them to all of my siblings, we can all enjoy them.

A good friend of mine gave us this cute stocking holder last year. I was telling her how I wish I had a mantle to hang up stockings and voila, now we have somewhere to hang our stockings. Also notice our countdown chain...16 days until Christmas!


You might be wondering what the orange is all about. Well, when I was little and really into American Girl, my Grandma gave me a Felicity packet. Felicity is the doll from 1776 and made things like a sampler, etc. In this Felicity packet was a quill and ink set and ribbon and cloves to make a Christmas Orange Satchel. Ever since, I have wanted to make one and don't know why I didn't do it then. I had an inspiring idea a few weeks ago when I was trying to decide what to make for an ornament exchange I am doing with some friends, "Aha!" I thought, make those oranges. They are just so old fashioned and fun! So I bought some pretty yarn and three cups of cloves and a bag of oranges. I sat down the other night to give one a try and realized that oranges are too heavy to hang on trees. Now I have a lot of cloves, some pretty ribbon, and the oranges will be easily taken care of. Sorry for not thinking this one through. I guess my friends will have to get another cool, smelly, old fashioned ornament.

Up Close. It smells really good and Christmassy.
Eventually, it is supposed to dry up and look really cool too.
Happy Holidays Everyone!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I've seen people poke cloves into oranges like that for potpourri, make lots of potpourri with them!!

Jenni said...

The crocheted boot is my favorite christmas decoration too, Grandma Hamman has skills! Your tree and garland is very festive and pretty. Jeremy got our tree last night so we will put it up and decorate it this weekend. But first I have to get shatter proof ornaments.